Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Service Learning Project

I have done projects very similar to this one in the past therefore I didn’t really learn any new skills. However, I believe I always have room for improvement. I was better at asking more questions upfront in the initial needs assessment meeting. The more questions you ask upfront the less you have to attempt to get a hold of them in the future.

I will saw a new skill I learned from this project is knowing what makes a flyer effective.

I don’t like speaking for anyone else but it appeared some students were less than thrilled about reaching out to our community of people that they don’t know and asking if they needed help. I think some were presently surprised to hear that organizations were thrilled that the students’ services were being offered. I can’t imagine a nonprofit that would turn down free university students help.

My service learning experience relates to almost all the learning objectives in this course. I had to create and present an effective professional document including graphics and presentational media. I had to revise documents and presentations to improve clarity and conform to standard English language. Apply communication skills in planning and conducting my SLP meetings with my partner.

Through my service learning project I have learned that no matter how big or small a community is there is always organizations that can benefit from a person’s generosity and volunteerism. I also learned that when I’m done with college and have a little less on my plate it’s a long term goal of mine that I want to do more community service projects like this one. Maybe even open my own non-profit that works to meet the need of professional document creation for other non-profits.

No comments:

Post a Comment